Friday, April 5, 2013

Stop Malaria Project Interview: Fred Akol



As part of BAMM (Blog About Malaria Month) I will be featuring brief interviews with my coworkers at Stop Malaria Project (SMP) and Malaria Consortium (MC) in the Soroti office. Photos to come later!

Fred Akol

A: Where are you from?
F: Soroti District

A: What did you study?
F: Social Sciences for Bachelors’ degree, Public Health for Master’s degree, and a diploma in Project Planning and Management.

A: Where have you worked before SMP/MC?
F: AMREF (African Medical and Research Foundation) as a project officer for HIV/AIDS, TB, and Malaria. Before that, the Landmine Awareness Trust in Soroti.

A: Why did you want to work for SMP/MC?
F: I saw the activities for fighting malaria which is the main killer disease for the region and country.  Secondly, it takes me deep in the community. 

A: What drew you to work in public health?
F: I love working with communities and health is a big issue in communities.  People need to be supported on issues of health and public health. I like the practical work, being active within communities, and being able to interact with real people.

A: What do you like most about your job?
F: Exposure to different stakeholders in different offices and being open to learning on the job.

A: What do you think is the biggest challenge in malaria eradication?
F: People’s attitudes towards prevention methods.

A: What do you think could be improved in the malaria eradication campaign?
F: Methods for prevention; promote IRS- it's expensive, but it’s the best.

A: After SMP ends, what would you like to do?
F: I will still work with public health partners which are still in health field because I feel I need to do much of the same thing.

No comments: