Monday, October 8, 2012

Hips Don't Lie (August 9, 2012)



Disclaimer: Now that I’m 12 hours on the other side of the following text, I can laugh at it. 

         “Hi Ashley ope u reached well!
         I must say u struck me first time esp.
        ur round hips and bums!        
         love u."

         This was from the District Health Officer, whom I met yesterday. I didn’t even give him my phone number.  He poached it out of the visitor’s log.  Silly me!  I thought health workers and officials might want to use my number to call me to discuss, oh, I don’t know….malaria.  I’ve visited at least a dozen district and sub-county health offices and not had a problem up until this point.  Well, I’ve learned my lesson now. 

        He rubbed me the wrong way yesterday when Charles (the technical assistant from the SMP Kampala office) and I met with him.  It’s protocol to try to meet with the district health officer, even if you have an appointment with someone else.  He was almost mocking our organization.  “What does Stop Malaria mean? What does it stand for?”  He went into a spiel about how nets aren’t really effective, how people are using them for fishing nets, people in Karamoja (a neighboring province which people in Teso region have stereotypes against) use them on their cows, bla bla bla.  I’ve heard this same thing from a few other “high-ups” in various health departments.  I held my tongue the best I could because I could feel myself getting angry about how he was a physician, a leader in his community, and was going to be no support to us at all. I talked to him for a few more minutes about the Peace Corps after the other guys left the room.  We shook hands (which is really an important gesture here), and the he said “you’re not wearing a wedding band?!”  I laughed and said my usual response to this. “No, I’m too busy for that.” And I walked out the door.

        This afternoon when I showed Linda the text, she said “That’s really tacky, but I told you…hips don’t lie.”  She was referring to last night when I was also getting unwanted attention from the bike boda drivers on our walk home.  One guy said “I need you to be my wife”.  I replied, “I need you to keep riding on down the street.”   Linda said, “I swear, you get it even more than Joanna and Chelsea” (the other PCVs here about my age).  Her theory is that my body is more “African” than theirs.  I can’t argue with that.  Hips don’t lie. 

         Then on my way home, another guy decided I needed a companion for the rest of my walk.  “I see you pass by here every day.”  Great.  Every time I stopped to take a photo, he stopped with me.  I just wanted to yell at him, “Please leave me alone so I can have 5 minutes of peace and just take photos of clouds!!”

         Look, I’m not trying to toot my own horn here about the attention I get.  At first it was flattering, but now it’s just annoying and sometimes concerning.  It’s slowly causing me to form a negative opinion of Ugandan men.  The guys I work with everyday at SMP are stand-up men.  But I think I’m going to have to invest in some skirts.

No comments: