Monday, October 8, 2012

TIA (August 19, 2012)



The experiences I had last Tuesday demonstrate “Africa” time and little challenges and obstacles on a typical day.  But the conversations I had also illustrate the great sense of humor that the people around me have and how they remind me to keep mine when it’s much easier to feel frustrated.

We had a SMP Quarterly Review Meeting in Kumi on Tuesday. 

This was our intended schedule:
7:00 am: Leave SMP
8:30 am: Start meeting
1:00: Leave for Kampala

This was our real schedule:
8:30: Left SMP
10:30: Started meeting
2:30: Left for Kampala

So, my American mindset is to arrive at the office at 6:55, just on the off chance that we’ll actually leave on time. Once, Chime, our Chief of Party, said to me “Don’t use Ugandan time”.  Ever since then, I’m still afraid to be late.

I have my smaller backpack stuffed into my larger one as I huff and puff on a bike to the office. The bike seat kept leaning back and up, so I kept having to stop and try to hammer it back down with my hand. It’s mostly flat and the weather is cool, but by the time I arrive I am really sweaty.  Of course, the only person there is the security guard.  Around 7:30, Paul, Ruth and Benjamin start to arrive.  When I told Ruth that I rode the bike here with my backpack she said “Now I know you’re a real African woman!” Then we joked that now I just needed to learn how to carry a bucket on my head with a baby strapped to my back.

At 8:00, Steven (one of the drivers) arrived and said he was going to pick up Badru.  I joked to Paul (the other driver) that he could have picked me up as well.  When he said that it could have been arranged, I replied that I didn’t know that was an option.  I didn’t ask because I didn’t want to hold up the group because we had such a long day of travelling.   I still struggle with the idea of being the foreigner who gets driven around and sometimes needs extra help.

When Badru finally arrived, he said “Ashley, now you know African time!”  I laughed, but told him I had been there since before seven.  He apologized, which made me feel guilty for even saying anything.  

Badru is Muslim and has been fasting the past few weeks for Ramadan. Despite not eating or drinking for 12 hours during the day, he always has a great attitude.  He has been nothing but kind, patient, and funny with me and the other team members.  I can’t imagine fasting.  So, if he can be so great during such a time of sacrifice, and I’m feeling frustrated over getting up an hour earlier for no reason, sitting in a crammed truck for five hours,  and travelling to Kampala despite our training being cancelled, I have to ask myself, “what the hell is my problem?!” 

Kampala is a five hour drive from Kumi in a private car. One hour is on an extremely bumpy road riddled with huge potholes.  When we turned onto the main road, we saw Dr. Julius (who used to be the SMP Soroti Team Leader and was the one who requested a Peace Corps Volunteer) and asked him if he was going to Kampala.  I’m thinking “NO!!! There are already 4 of us in a small truck with bags.”   When I voiced my concern about my bag potentially being stolen in Kampala out of the bed of the truck (petty concern I know), Badru said, “We can’t say no (to Dr. Julius)”.  In retrospect, he’s right.  I would hope someone would do the same for me. 

Guess who sat in the middle?  Me. While my legs were held tightly together, I kept looking over at Benjamin whose legs looked much more comfortable in a wide stance, I thought “why can men do that and I can’t?!”  But Dr. Julius was great to talk to and he helped me hold my big backpack across our laps when it started to rain.  The conversations I had with those guys was worth the stiff knees.  At one point, we talked about how many children women and families “produced” in Africa.  The best line I heard all day was when Badru turned to me and said “In Africa, we die a lot.”  We all cracked up.  What he meant was that the life expectancy is so low, that families feel the need to have many children.  

When we reached Seeta, a town about 30 minutes outside of Kampala, Badru called Agnes, his contact to ask about our training the following day.  He told us that it had been cancelled and just died laughing.  I just laughed along with him.  When he laughs, it’s almost impossible for me not to.  Agnes had emailed him, but he had been too busy with the meeting in Kumi to check it.  I’m still not sure why she just didn’t call or text, and could have saved us the trip.    Zen me ban? What can you do?

The road between Jinja and Kampala often has “jams” because it is the main road connecting the port of Mombasa, Kenya, to Kampala.  Big trucks transport cargo and fuel along this two lane road.  So, when we got into our first “jam”, Ben said “turn here, it’s a short cut”.  As we went down the crowded side street, we quickly realized a night market had been set up and that our short cut was turning into a detour.  I laughed and exclaimed “TIA!!!”  When I explained it meant “This is Africa”, we all laughed.

After getting back onto the main road and sitting in another jam, Steven, our driver pointed across to a dirt road as another potential shortcut.  I joked, “Steven, you know there’s another night market down that road”.  But, as we took it, so did a lot of other drivers, but it seemed so remote for being on the outskirts of a capital city. I was expecting to hear dueling banjos right out of Deliverance.  Badru said “TIA: This is America.” Then, I turned it into “This is Ashley”. 

The next day, I spent at the Peace Corps and SMP Offices.  I had to visit the Peace Corps doctor because the skin around my eyes was burning, which was really bizarre. It turned out to be fine. Throughout the day, I also felt waves of frustration as SMP staff discussed the myriad of challenges about my housing situation.  That afternoon I walked back to my guest house through the hills of Kololo, past embassies and UN offices.  The skies had cleared, the wind was blowing and as I walked among palm trees and bougainvilleas, I couldn’t help but think “this is paradise”.  TIA. 

No comments: