Monday, October 8, 2012

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. (August 26, 2012)





First, I have to give credit to Phil Arnheim, my first Peace Corps site mate, for the title.  During our winter break in Nanchong, we developed a pattern of going out to the clubs several nights a week.  One day he joked that our new routine was “Wash. Rinse. Repeat.”  I’ve never forgotten that week or that phrase.  So, it naturally came to mind considering I had almost the exact same travel schedule to Kampala two weeks in a row.  Except this time, we actually had our scheduled training. 

Considering that I spent twenty-four hours in the truck within a nine- day period, it began to felt like my office.  So here’s a sample of conversations and events from “around the water cooler” en route to/from Kampala. 

As soon as we left Soroti, our driver played a mixed country music CD.  Imagine my surprise when I hear Randy Travis singing “Daddy, won’t you take me back to Muhlenberg County”.  For those of you not from Kentucky, this is only two counties away from Grayson County, where I grew up.  Never thought I’d be listening to a song about coal mines and the Green River while driving around Uganda.  What a small, globalized world. 

Several hours later, as we approached Lugazi, about an hour outside of Kampala, a traffic cop in a while uniform gestured for us to pull over.  I immediately felt like I was in trouble.  All I could think was “I don’t have my physical passport, only the copy!”  After I rolled down my window, and we exchanged niceties, he said “my job is stop speed. Your job is stop malaria.” We all chuckled.   He held up his radar and it read 61.  The sign in front of us said 50.  He also said that a previous sign said 50.  Our driver (who I won’t name here), got out of the car and looked for a copy of his permit.  Eventually he found it and then asked one of us for 5,000 shillings (about $2).  I fished a bill out of my wallet.  Basically, he bribed the cops with 5,000 to avoid getting a 100,000 fine.  Yep, yours truly indirectly supplied a bribe.  Honestly, I’m ok with it. TIA.  

Towards the end of the training, one of the facilitators was giving a session about finance and accountability.  She explained that if you can’t get a receipt for something, you need to at least write a note with the amount on it to “cover your back”.  Then, Badru, leaned over to me and said, “or your ass.”  I had to lay my head down on the table to stifle my laughter.  So much for the pious image of him I had in my head!  But it just made me like him even more.

Earlier that week in the actual office, one of my male coworkers asked me “what does douche bag mean? I always hear that in American movies.”  I couldn’t help laugh.  So, I put on my English teacher hat and tried to explain both meanings with as much dignity as possible.  Another conversation I never imagined having at Stop Malaria.  Definitely not in my job description!       

This weekend I saw some real wash, rinse, repeat action as I visited a salon with my friend Angela.  She’s the manager of the Holiday Inn in Soroti.  And no, it’s not the Holiday Inn.  First, we had lunch at the Akello hotel.  It was really just an excuse to spy on the competition.  To convince the staff to give us a tour of the rooms, she told them that we worked for an “organization” and might need to use their hotel in their future. I almost started laughing at the front desk.  A few times Angela would ask questions like “Oh, it’s so clean, do you clean everyday?” or “How many staff do you have here?” and then turn around and wink at me.

We tried to go to the Dubai Complex  to scope out cheap house wares for my new place.  But they wanted to make me not only check my backpack, but also my purse.  No way.  So, I decided if I couldn’t shop, I might as well join her at the salon.  Upon entering Sammy J’s Unisex Salon, we had to take off our shoes.  I didn’t understand this because the floor was covered in a thin red carpet you would see in a skeezy bar with combs and parts of weaves scattered all around. There were at least 10 women in the small front room gettin’ their hair did.

When I told them I wanted a pedicure, I was led into the back room.  I waited on a couch while one man filled an electric foot bath with hot water and shampoo. In the background, a bad 80’s American action movie was playing on a Kenyan TV channel.  The plug for the footbath had only two prongs.  Ugandan electric sockets have three.  To compensate, he simultaneously plugged in the two pronged one in the bottom and a comb in the top one.  I started to visualize my death via electrocution as the footbath made some pathetic sounds.  So, after dumping it out in the shampoo bowl and retrying it a few times, he eventually settled a regular basin.  After soaking my feet for about 5 minutes in the basin, a woman came over and got the electric footbath working.  My feet have never been so thoroughly scrubbed in my life. I’m pretty sure I won’t need another pedicure until I leave Africa next year.  She not only used an apricot exfoliating cream, but also a pumice and a file.  I’m pretty sure she spent a good 10 minutes on each foot while alternating my feet back in the regular basin in between scrubbings. 

I chose an electric blue nail polish in an OPY bottle.  Not OPI, but OPY.  I didn’t ask for sparkles, but she applied a small band of them to the top of each nail.  I mean, you can’t say no to sparkles.  Because let’s face it, life definitely needs sparkles here.  Then, she washed and dried my Chacos with an apron.  Although the polish wasn’t dry and I pointed that out to her, she helped me ease into them.  A small patch came off, but I didn’t care.  After sitting through what felt like the world’s longest pedicure, I was ready to leave.  Speaking of aprons, one of the women who worked there was sporting a green Starbucks apron.  I really wished she could have handed me an iced latte.  Another man was wearing socks fit for Halloween: orange, black, and green striped.  When I explained what Halloween was to him, he just laughed at me like I was making it all up.

Now what you all really want to hear about: underwear.  It’s not appropriate to have someone else wash your underwear in Africa, even if you pay them.  I also can’t even let them dry outside.  So, every weekend I have to soak, scrub, rinse and hang them to dry.  Two weeks ago, I made the mistake of doing three weeks worth of underwear at once.  I learned my lesson.  The sores on my knuckles have just healed. The whole process took me at least an hour.  I had to jerry-rig fishing line up in one of the unused bedrooms to have additional drying space.   This was never a problem while I travelled through South and Southeast Asia for several months.  Can we get Hillary Clinton to come back to Uganda and address this problem?

No comments: