Monday, October 8, 2012

Producing (August 19, 2012)



After feeling a little bored and lonely being in the house this afternoon, I still wasn't looking forward to going into town. Two of the supermarkets I wanted to hit up and the "real" market are on Market Street (original name). This street is always crowded with people on bikes, motorcycles, and on foot carrying bunches of matooke (a type of bananas) on their head, big trucks, people selling dried fish spread out on tarps. I don't even like walking down this street. So, trying to navigate it on Linda's bike (which the basket keeps falling off to the side bring the front wheel almost to a stop) stresses me out a little. There have been a few times when just pushing off I've almost hit other bikers. And finding a place to lock it up can be hit or miss. When I go to OM Supermarket, the guard just watches it for me because there isn't anything to tie it to. Yesterday, I asked the staff at the Landmark Hotel if I could keep it there while I ran across the street into the market. The receptionist had some guy in an alley watch it for me. It worked out well yesterday, but he wasn't there today. So, a different guy was at the front desk and he just let me lock it to the rail. Why I couldn't do that yesterday, I'm not sure. TIA.

Going to the market by myself yesterday (without Linda's navigation) was kind of a big accomplishment to me. I don't know why, but vegetable/fruit/meat markets like that overwhelm me a little. But touristy, souvenir, clothing, houseware markets don't bother me. I can't explain it. I'm weird. The first time I went into this market with Linda, someone drove a motorcycle in the main entrance! Another time, someone on a bike with an oversized load went through the same entrance. I feel like it's so easy to get pushed around in that area. Although it's technically outside, it's so densely packed, that it's a little dark.
 But Juliet made it worthwhile. She is the vendor whom Linda usually buys veggies from. Juliet made me sit down so she could dole out advice on how I need to start "producing". Here's the highlights of our conversation:

 J: Do you have children? Are you married?
A: No. I'm too busy and there are enough people in the world.
J: (Touching my stomach) But you need a child in your womb. For memories.
A: Ok, good point about the memories.
J: You sit down!
A: Ok, just for a minute or two.
J: No, you sit for 5 minutes, 10 minutes.
A: Yes, ma'am.
J: You need to marry an African man so you can stay here and teach us about malaria.
A: Well, you just need to sleep under a net. There! Now you know!
J: No, you need to stay here. Buy these things (pointing to the vegetables around us) and eat them.
A: But, if I have children, I want to have them in America.
J: You conceive here, then go to America to give birth.
A: But just one way to America is almost $2000.
J: How much is that in shillings?
A: (After calculating it on my cell phone) That's 480,000 shillings. I"m a volunteer and can't afford that.
J: You will have a good paying job after this.
A: Yes, but I want to keep working in places like Uganda, so I won't make much money.
 Juliet is only twenty and already has two kids. The oldest is seven. She didn't finish high school, but I commended her on having her little business at the market. A few women with babies tied to their back started listening and laughing at our conversation.
 She had a counterpoint to everything!!
 Even though I know I'll get more unsolicited advice about my reproductive health, I'll keep going back to her because the amusement is definitely good for my mental health.

No comments: